As a nonprofit, we thrive because of the generosity of our community. One way to contribute is by volunteering your time. Our volunteers can be anyone from artists, professionals, students to retirees, or anyone who assists in projects like advocacy, fundraising, community relations, events, patient support and administration.
Interested? Each volunteer position is different, but we usually ask for four hours of your time each week for a minimum of six months. Please be certain that this is a good time for you to make such a commitment.
Depending on your proximity to our office and events, you will also be invited to attend special events and local group meetings with members and staff. Additionally, we offer internships for college credit for applicable institutions. Interns dedicate eight to 20 hours of their time a week for a minimum of three months.
Volunteer Application Process
- In addition to the completed application form, we will need a copy of your resume if you are applying to be a volunteer in Administration. Please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We will contact you once your application and resume have been received.
- We sometimes cannot place a prospective volunteer right away, even if s/he is a great candidate. Because of this, we keep applications on file for six months in case a volunteer position becomes available. Please contact us if your schedule changes.If you have any questions, please call The Life Raft Group at 973-837-9092, ext. 102, or email email@example.com.
Thanks so much for your interest in The Life Raft Group! We couldn’t do what we do here without our wonderful volunteer community.
Click here to fill out the online volunteer application.
Types of Volunteers
- Work to communicate the needs and situation of the GIST community to elected officials and policymakers on the local, state and national levels.
- Write campaign letters, make in-office visits, compile educational materials and lobby issues on national level.
- No experience necessary – just a passion to effect change and advocate for those with this GIST and their caregivers. Training will be provided to all interested.
- Fill out the fundraising form and The Life Raft Group will contact you about your fundraising request.
- Promote the work that LRG is doing on social media
- Actively participate in LRG campaigns through social media
- Share relevant information found on social media with the LRG communication team
- People with access and knowledge who are actively promoting themselves and the LRG to local media, radio, local TV and newspaper for exposure
- Survivor stories as local media highlights
- Website/content reviewers
- Writers and/or editors
- Photographers and/or videographers
- Address specific member issues on Listserv, etc.
- Act as a buddy to a newly diagnosed patient
- Provide grief support
- Act as a Medicare researcher
- Assist with various office duties, such as filing, copying, mailing, etc.
- Register participants at our New York City events
- Greet our members at a local GDOL or member group meeting